Digitizing current materials
What if you want to proactively digitize relatively current materials of your institution?
- The opportunity to capture materials within the context and in communication with the contributors.
- Express digitization grant from the national network of libraries of medicine. 2010-2011
- scan or not scan?
Many variables to consider before making the items public because of the currency and the content of the materials
[ +33500 peocessed; 8000 scanned ]
- no institutional policy on copyright
- hard to form a complete collection
- hard to imagine use cases; too early to tell
- digital archiving / curation before the test of time.
- connecting the outcome to the institution itself
BENEFITS of proactive digitization
- library promotion
- certain context easily lost can be preserved
- materials previously unidentified or scattered are gathered together