“From the First day to Everyday – finding and keeping your first library job and beyond”
Voting is open now! Vote by *giving stars* to the submissions in the comments. You do not have to leave any reply
Not attending the American Library Association (ALA) Annual Conference and/or need something fun to do?
Create and submit a short 1-3 minute video for new librarians who cannot attend the 2011 ALA Conference at New Orleans! Watch and vote for your fellow NMRTers’ videos! Spread the word to all librarians you know.
- Submission period (EXTENDED!):
Sunday, May 1, 2011 – Monday June 6, 2011
- Submission instructions:
See below. (You must be a current ALA-NMRT member to submit a video.)
- Voting period:
Tuesday, June 7, 2011 – Wednesday, June 15, 2011
- Voting instructions:
Give stars to the submissions in the comments. You do not have to leave any reply
- Winner announcement:
Saturday June 25th at the ALA Conference NMRT Student Reception and online at ALA Connect NMRT page.
Amazon gift card (1st place – $50, 2nd – $30, 3rd – $20) for the 3 videos with the most votes.
- Video Topics:
- Helpful information for the new librarians who are unable to attend the 2011 ALA Annual Conference in New Orleans. Topic examples are:
- Job searching tips for new librarians
- How to survive your first year at your first professional job
- Tips for professional development of the conference
- How to use NMRT to get help with any of these above (ex. resume review service, mentoring program, conference scholarships, networking, and committees etc.).
- Or other similar topics.
The NMRT video contest is organized by the 2010-2011 New Members Round Table (NMRT) Annual Program Committee. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org your questions regarding the video contest.
NMRT Video Contest Submission instructions
A. Instructions for uploading videos in YouTube:
- Make sure your video is in a compatible file format for uploading. Common file formats include .mpeg4, .avi, .wmv and others. See the complete listing of acceptable file formats on the YouTube website: http://www.google.com/support/youtube/bin/answer.py?answer=55744
Many video-editing software programs will give you the ability to pick the file format; refer to your specific program’s help function for more details.
- Go to Youtube and click on ‘Upload’. This will take you to a page that will allow you to search for your video on your computer and upload it to YouTube. http://upload.youtube.com/my_videos_upload
- Select your video and upload it. It may take some time for YouTube to process your video. Be patient!
- Fill out the Title, Description, and Tags. In order to enter the contest, you must use the following tag: nmrtvideocontest
- Set the Privacy to ‘Public’ and click ‘Save changes’.
- Once your video has been uploaded, it will be live and ready for viewing, usually within a few minutes.
- Copy the link to your YouTube video. Do NOT use the Share link. Copy directly from the URL line of a web browser. It will look like:
- YouTube has a number of informative videos to help you! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzSwnbxb9TY&feature=player_embedded
B. Instructions for linking videos in the NMRT Video Contest Website:
- Go to the NMRT Video Contest Website.
- Post a comment with the following information:
(Do NOT use any html in the comment. Links will be automatically hyperlinked.)
(In the website line, put your ALA ID. This will not be visible to others.)
- Video title: _________________
- YouTube link: _______________
Description: ______________ (No more than 3 sentences)
And on the last line, copy the link you copied from YouTube and then add ‘v‘ to at the end of “http.” The link should look like now httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyz
This will automatically embed your video in the comment.
- Your comment will appear once approved by the committee.
Any questions? E-mail email@example.com.
- That’s it – Thank you!